U.S. Denies Lebanon, Other Nations to be Added to New Travel Ban

Bookmark this
February 08, 2017

The United States has denied reports claiming that seven countries including Lebanon will soon be added to a new travel ban list.

An Executive Order recently signed by U.S. President Donald Trump had imposed a 90-day pause on the entry into the United States of nationals from Iraq, Syria, Sudan, Iran, Somalia, Libya, and Yemen.

A statement issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security has emphasized that "these seven countries are the only countries to which the pause on entry applies."

"No other countries face such treatment. Nor have any other countries been identified as warranting future inclusion at this time, contrary to false reports," the statement said.

A pro-Trump website had claimed that seven new countries, including Lebanon, could be added to a list of countries where travelers are banned from traveling to the United States.

The alleged list mentioned Egypt, Afghanistan, Colombia, Pakistan, Venezuela, the Philippines and Lebanon.

The sources had clarified that the reports still need to be officially confirmed.

 

Trump's order last week sparked protests nationwide and confusion at airports as some travelers were detained. The White House has argued that it will make the country safer.

A U.S. judge on Friday imposed a nationwide hold on Trump's ban on travelers and immigrants, siding with two states that had challenged the executive order that has launched legal battles across the country.
 

Source: Agence France Presse, Associated Press, Naharnet



Lebanon Weddings
"Lebanon's Leading Wedding Directory"
www.lebanonweddings.com

Advertisement

Recent Articles

Rubber Bullets, Tear Gas, Water Cannons Fired at Stone-Throwing Protesters in Beirut

Rubber Bullets, Tear Gas, Water Cannons Fired at Stone-Throwing Protesters in Beirut

in Local News

Security forces on Sunday fired rubber bullets, tear gas, pepper spray and water cannons at stone-throwing protesters in central Beirut, a day after almost 400 people were injured in the fiercest clashes yet...

January 20, 2020 By Naharnet Newsdesk

Lebanon ranks first in Huawei's Mideast ICT competition

Lebanon ranks first in Huawei's Mideast ICT competition

in World News, Local News

Lebanon ranked the first in Huawei's Middle East ICT competition which took place over the weekend in the Chinese city of Shenzhen, a Huawei statement said Monday. A total of 13 teams of 39 students from across the Middle East competed in the final.

December 3, 2019

Hariri Announces Resignation, Urges Political Parties to Protect Lebanon

Hariri Announces Resignation, Urges Political Parties to Protect Lebanon

in Local News

Prime Minister Saad Hariri on Tuesday submitted his government’s resignation to President Michel Aoun, on the 13th day of an unprecedented popular revolt against the entire political class.

October 30, 2019 By Naharnet Newsdesk

Protesters Take to Streets across Lebanon over Planned Taxes

Protesters Take to Streets across Lebanon over Planned Taxes

in Local News

Protesters took to the streets and blocked key roads across Lebanon on Thursday evening over the government’s inclination to impose new taxes, especially a tax on voice calls via internet apps.

October 18, 2019 By Naharnet