No Deal Yet in Lebanese-Australian Child Custody Case

Bookmark this
April 19, 2016

The Lebanese father of two children at the heart of a high-profile custody dispute has said he will not drop attempted kidnapping charges against his estranged Australian wife, who tried to take the children from him two weeks ago.

Sally Faulkner has been jailed in Lebanon along with prominent Australian TV journalist Tara Brown and Brown's three-person camera crew on charges relating to a botched attempt to seize Faulkner's two children on their way to school in Beirut. Another four suspects, two Britons and two Lebanese, have also been detained and charged.

The father, Ali al-Amin, said he does not "have anything against Sal," but does not want to drop charges. Faulkner has previously said al-Amin took the children from Australia to Lebanon without her permission.

Police brought Faulkner and Brown to a courthouse in a Beirut suburb to be questioned by Judge Rami Abdullah, but the two were led out after just five minutes and returned to the women's jail where they are being held. Al-Amin and an official from the British Embassy had met with the judge earlier.

The judge postponed his inquiry until Wednesday to allow lawyers to continue negotiations. Lawyers involved in the case say the parties are being asked to come up with a comprehensive deal before the case reaches court.

Al-Amin indicated Monday that he wanted to negotiate separately with Faulkner and was put off by the idea of amending the charges against the other suspects as part of a comprehensive deal.

"They're trying to link everything up with (Faulkner) but I don't have time for that," said Ali. "The kids are good, that's the most important thing. And everything else, we'll see what happens."

Faulkner's lawyer, Ghassan Moughabghab, told The Associated Press that al-Amin's legal team halted negotiations on Saturday and was not making concessions. "He said he is not in a hurry," the lawyer said.

Joe Karam, who is representing the two Britons, said "any peaceful agreement will benefit everyone."

Adam Whittington, a former British police officer, is alleged to have masterminded the botched operation to seize the children, ages 3 and 5, then smuggle them out of the country by boat to Cyprus. He heads the Britain-based Child Abduction Recovery International.

Whittington has said Australia's Channel 9 network financed the operation, depositing over $100,000 in fees to his company's account. Brown's Channel 9 crew was in Beirut when Faulkner sought to take away the children.

Karam said his other client, Greg Michael, entered a hospital for a second time over the weekend after suffering a "crisis" and showed physical symptoms. "He is receiving fair treatment," Karam added.

The suspects also face charges filed by Al-Amin's mother, who was struck and knocked to the ground during the incident two weeks ago. Al-Amin said she suffered a head injury but was recovering.

The nine suspects face up to 15 years in prison if tried and convicted of the charges, the judge said last week.

 


Advertisement

Recent Articles

The United Australia Lebanese Movement Australia Day Award Ceremony

The United Australia Lebanese Movement Australia Day Award Ceremony

in Community News

The United Australia Lebanese Movement (UALM) held its 22nd consecutive Australia Day Award Ceremony on 22/01/2020 endorsed by the Australia Day Council of NSW. The UALM is the only organisation outside of Local Government able to hold such an event.

January 26, 2020

Rubber Bullets, Tear Gas, Water Cannons Fired at Stone-Throwing Protesters in Beirut

Rubber Bullets, Tear Gas, Water Cannons Fired at Stone-Throwing Protesters in Beirut

in Local News

Security forces on Sunday fired rubber bullets, tear gas, pepper spray and water cannons at stone-throwing protesters in central Beirut, a day after almost 400 people were injured in the fiercest clashes yet...

January 20, 2020 By Naharnet Newsdesk

Lebanon ranks first in Huawei's Mideast ICT competition

Lebanon ranks first in Huawei's Mideast ICT competition

in World News, Local News

Lebanon ranked the first in Huawei's Middle East ICT competition which took place over the weekend in the Chinese city of Shenzhen, a Huawei statement said Monday. A total of 13 teams of 39 students from across the Middle East competed in the final.

December 3, 2019

Hariri Announces Resignation, Urges Political Parties to Protect Lebanon

Hariri Announces Resignation, Urges Political Parties to Protect Lebanon

in Local News

Prime Minister Saad Hariri on Tuesday submitted his government’s resignation to President Michel Aoun, on the 13th day of an unprecedented popular revolt against the entire political class.

October 30, 2019 By Naharnet Newsdesk